What is a Giclée?

The word giclée was adopted by Jack Duganne around 1990. He was a printmaker working at Nash Editions. He wanted a name for the new type of prints they were producing on a modified Iris printer, a large-format, high-resolution industrial prepress proofing inkjet printer on which the paper receiving the ink is attached to a rotating drum and that they had adapted for fine-art printing. He was specifically looking for a word that would differentiate them from regular commercial Iris prints then used as proofs in the commercial printing industry. Giclée is based on the French word gicleur, the French technical term for a jet or a nozzle, and the verb coming from it gicler (to squirt out). Une giclée (noun) means a spurt of some liquid.[3][4][5] The French verb form gicler means to spray, spout, or squirt. Duganne settled on the noun giclée

From Wikipedia

FAQ home